Many studies have shown the usefulness of yogurt for treatment for yeast infections. These Clinical studies have proved that yogurt has strong medicinal properties, not only is yogurt great for treating yeast infections, but it also it has the ability to kill bad “bugs” or bacteria in human gut.
The beneficial ingredient in yogurt is that it contains live cultures, the live cultures to look for before getting yourself some yogurt are; L. acidophilus, L. bulgaricus, S. thermophilus and bifidobacteria. It is up to you to check on the labels of different brands before buying yogurt for yeast infection treatment to ensure it contains these live cultures. It is important to buy plain yogurt and add no fruit or jam before eating it, to avoid sugar which can feed the yeast infection To get the maximum benefit, it is advisable to avoid buying frozen yogurt even if it contains beneficial bacteria.
L. acidophilus as one of the live cultures found in yogurt and is also found in vaginal tract, which has the ability to keep candida levels in check. This therefore helps in prevention of yeast infections occurring. Taking more yogurt introduces more L. acidophilus to the area in which the candida (yeast infection) is already out of control and will help balance yeast levels.
How to use yogurt for yeast infection treatment or prevention
- Studies have also shown that eating 8 oz of yogurt daily may prevent yeast infections or help return yeast levels to normal. Overtime this will build up the beneficial bacterium in your intestinal tract and also prevent yeast infections from spreading.
- Applying yogurt directly to the vagina (about one tablespoon via an applicator) will also help fight a yeast vaginal infection.
- As a topical remedy you can apply plain yogurt directly to the labia and vulva, in addition, you should coat a tampon with yogurt and leave it overnight. You should repeat this every night until your yeast infection symptoms are eliminated,and then continue treatment for a further 48 hours.
Other advantages of using yogurt as a remedy:
- Yogurt for yeast infections are an extremely cheap form of treatment.
- They do not encourage bacterial resistance as compared to antibiotics.
- And they have a low risk of side effects.
There are no doubts that most people, especially women will feel the benefit of using yogurt for yeast infection treatments. This is because for many women a vaginal yeast infection is usually very stubborn. Give yogurt a try and remember to use plain sugarless yogurt with live cultures. Otherwise you will rarely be able to see the changes or results you hoping for. Yogurt for yeast infection is not only a reliable treatment method, but is also extremely safe with minimal side effects.