Yeasts are unicellular organisms that come under the Kingdom Fungi. Whenever we talk about Yeast infections, we are referring to a particular type of fungus called Candida. Yeast is commonly present on the moist and dark areas of our body, like Genitals, mouth, armpits, etc… And it is quite normal to have it present. But when these peacefully present Yeasts present on our body start growing and spreading, they cause an infection. These infections can cause a simple itching to irritation in some body part, or cause serious infections that can be annoying and unbearable. Also, yeast infections are recurring in nature, so they can happen again even after they have been successfully treated and cured.
Yeast infections can be prevented if proper precautions are taken. It is necessary to know yeast infections can be prevented. A few simple things can be practiced to keep yeast infections at bay.
Tips on how to prevent yeast infections
Dietary Prevention –
- If you are diabetic, cut down your sugar intake.
- Also, if your body is more prone to yeast infections, eat less of processed products such as, white rice, white bread, potatoes, refined grains and other foods that raise the level of glucose in your body.
- Products containing the ‘good-bacteria’, like yogurt and milk, help in restoring the balance between bacteria and fungus in your body. Increase their intake by including them in your meals. These should be consumed unsweetened and should not be flavored.
- Pure Cranberry juice is known to have properties that fight yeast infections. Include a glass of cranberry juice in your diet to fight and prevent yeast infections.
- Raw garlic also has therapeutic properties and is known to prevent yeast infection. Include it in your daily meal, simply chew it or add it in your recipes like salad, curries, roasts etcetera.
Other Important Prevention –
Yeast flourishes in a warm, moist and dark environment. Other measures one needs to keep in mind are:
- Sufferers of frequent yeast infections should switch high dose to low dose birth control medicines and other medicines that cause hormonal imbalances and increase the chances of contracting the infection.
- Males and females both should keep their genitals areas clean and dry.
- Wet and tight clothes should be avoided.
- It is advisable to wear cotton undergarments as the fabric breathes and does not allow the infection to grow.
- Genitals and other inner areas should be cleaned with gentle cleansers which have a neutral pH.
- Avoid scented products such as toilet paper, sanitary pads, tampons and inner wears.
- The cloth of the inner wears should be such that it allows these intimate places of our body to breath.
- Breast feeding is a strict no-no if you are suffering from a yeast infection.
- Sexual intercourse should be given a rest while either partner is suffering from a yeast infection.
- Unnecessary use of antibiotics should be avoided as it can aggravate the condition.
- Armpits and below the breast area should be kept clean and sweat free.
These simple precautionary methods can help you prevent yeast infections.